Alexandru Donici Estate

Only 40 km north of Chisinau in a picturesque forest area you will find the village of Donici (formerly Bezeni), where the great classic Moldovan fabulist Alexandru Donici (1806-1865) was born. In 1976, the Donici family house became a national museum that reflects his life and activity as a fabulist.Inside the museum you can see a lot of his works.

The museum complex includes the manor park, family chapel, and the "Stanca" well once arranged built by the parents of Alexander Donici. Till now this source feeds with water the whole village.

Donici first started a military career in a high-school in St. Petersburg. Later, after coming back to Moldova, he started his career as a fabulist, first in Chisinau then in Iasi, Piatra-Neamt (Romania). He was inspired by the famous fabulists La Fontaine and I. Kralov. In 1840-1842 he published his two books of "Fables", which include his own works and translations. Together with C. Negruzzi he translated and published "The Satires and other Poetic Compositions" by A.Cantemir. Donici also translated the poem "Gypsies" by Pushkin (1837) and other classical works of world literature.

A.Donoci had a great sense of observation. In his works he criticized the bad manners of human society through animal characters. Some of his famous works are: "Arvinte's Hall", "The Fly at Ploughing", "The Crab, the Swan and the Pine", etc.

Location

Donici village, Orhei;  40 km distance from Chisinau

Accessibility

9:00 – 17:00 daily, closed on Mondays

Contact

Tel: +373 235 53 249

Entry Fee

5-15 MDL

 

Manuc Bei Estate And Manor House

The Manuc Bei estate and manor house is located in Hincesti. Manuc Bei (1769-1817) was a wealthy merchant, diplomat, and inn-keeper during the period of the Ottoman Empire. In 1812 he played a major role in helping to negotiate the signing of the Treaty of Bucharest between the Russian and Ottoman empires.

Towards the end of his life, he retired to his estate of Hînceşti, where his son later built the manor house, which was designed by famed architect Alexander Bernardazzi.

Manuc Bei died in an accident in 1817, and was buried in the Armenian Church in Chişinău. Before his death, however, he also played an important role in bringing French winemaking technologies to Moldova. The Vitis Hincesti winery traces its history to Manuc Bei's family.

The Manuc Bei Mansion of Moldova resembles a French castle. The mansion houses a winter garden, park, and several watchtowers. For many years afterwards it was occupied by Manuc Bei's descendents. In 1970, Manuc Bei manor house was transformed into a museum, which displays more than 20,000 artifacts. The museum also holds many permanent exhibitions like the "Sovereigns of Moldova", the "Maps and Documents", and the "Ethnography", and a diorama of the Battle of lasi-Chisinau in 1944. The museum also has an exhibition on the flora and fauna, including different varieties of butterflies and birds.

Location

2, Bernardazzi str., Hincesti, 35 km distance from Chisinau

Accessibility

10:00 – 17:00 daily, closed on Mondays

Contact

Tel: +373 234 23 607

Entry Fee

5-15 MDL

 

Ralli Manor

Ralli Manor is significant because famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin lived for several weeks in 1821 while in exile in Bessarabia (1820-1823). He was deported in Bessarabia because of his freedom-loving poetry. During his time in Bessarabia, Pushkin became acquainted with local landowner Zamfir Ralli-Arbore who invited Pushkin to his estate in Dolna village.

It is here that Pushkin is reputed to have met the gypsy girl, Zemfira, the daughter of a gypsy baron, whose beauty overwhelmed him and inspired his famous poem, "The Gypsies", written in 1824.

In 1946, the manor was turned into a house-museum with a permanent Pushkin exhibit that retains the atmosphere of the estate during his time there. All the artifacts are authentic, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries; most were brought from St. Petersburg and Chisinau.

Since the 1980s Pushkin's poetry is celebrated in Dolna. There is an annual festival, held on the first Sunday in June, because his birthday was June 6th, that attracts many admires of his poetry.

The estate was restored in early 2000. It is in impeccable order including the yard.

Location

Dolna village, Straseni,  55 km distance from Chisinau

Accessibility

10:00 – 16:00 daily, closed on Mondays

Contact

Tel: +373 264 58 271

Entry Fee

5-15 MDL

 

Soroca Fortress

In the medieval period, the fortress of Soroca was part of a huge Moldovan defense system. It was comprised of four fortresses on the Nistru River, two on the Danube, and another three in the northern part of the country.

With this "stone belt of fortresses", the country's borders were well protected. Soroca fortress was built at a Nistru River crossing on older fortifications. In 1499, at the order of Stefan cel Mare a square wooden fortress was built on the site of a former Genovesian fortress that was called Olihonia (Alciona).

From 1543–1546, when Petru Rares ruled the country, the fortress was completely re-built in stone, and in the shape that remains today – a circle with a diameter of 3.5 meter and 5 bastions situated at equal distances. When designing the fortress the builders incorporated the supreme law of harmony, which makes the fortress unique among examples of European defensive architecture.

Soroca fortress is also famous as being the place where the Moldovan army, commanded by the famous statesman Dimitrie Cantemir, and the Russian army, led by the Tsar Petru I, met and consolidated their forces during the Prut campaign against the Turkish hordes in 1711.

During the course of its history, the fortress has been visited by Bogdan Hmelnitski, Timush Hmelnitski, Alexander Suvorov, and others. The fortress is the only medieval monument in Moldova which has been preserved entirely as it was designed.

Above the entrance gate one can visit the small military church.

Location

Petru Rares str., Soroca 160 km distance to Chisinau

Accessibility

10:00 – 18:00 Tuesday to Sunday

Contact

Tel: +373 230 30 430

GSM:+ 373 (0) 69323734

Entry Fee

5 - 15 MDL

 

Taul Park And Pommer Manor

Taul Park is the largest park in Moldova. It is located in Taul village about 200 km north the Chisinau. The park surrounds the stylish manor house of the Ivan Pommer family built at the beginning of the 20th century. The estate represents one of the most successful works of the landscape architect I.V. Vladislavschi-Padalco, highly appreciated by the elite of those times.

The Park was designed with successive levels along the paths leading down to a picturesque valley with a small lake that today is home to many swans, roes, and ducks.

The park is divided into two parts. The upper part where the manor is located has a dense network paths overflowing with diverse flower compositions. The lower part is filled with trees, reminiscent of a large forest with groups of trees characteristic to different geographical zones. The park has a diverse collection of more than 150 varieties of trees and bushes, many of them are exotic species. It has an impressive network of 12.5 km of paths and trails.

Location: Taul Village, Donduseni, 200 km distance to Chisinau

Tighina (Bender) Fortress

Tighina fortress was built in one the most powerful of the medieval cities of Moldova – Tighina, which was an important trade outpost. Originally built as a small wooden fort by Stefan cel Mare, it was fortified with stone during Petru Rares' rule, just was Soroca fortress.

In 1538, the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent conquered the town, and renamed it Bender. Its fortifications were developed into a full fortress under the same name under the supervision of the Turkish architect Koji Mimar Sinan. The Ottomans used it to keep the pressure on Moldavia.

In the 18th century, the fort's area was expanded and modernized by the prince of Moldavia Antioh Cantemir, who carried out these works under Ottoman supervision.

In 1713, the fortress, the town, and the neighboring village Varniţa were the site of skirmishes between Charles XII of Sweden, who had taken refuge there with the Cossack Hetman Ivan Mazepa after his defeat in the Battle of Poltava, and Turks who wished to enforce the departure of the Swedish king. During the second half of the 18th century, the fortress fell three times to the Russians during the Russo-Turkish Wars (in 1770, 1789, and in 1806 without a fight).

Bender Fortress is an architectural ensemble of irregular quadrilateral plan, surrounded by wide walls, 2-3 meters thick, made of limestone and brick. The fortress has 10 artillery bastions at the corners, 11 towers, and 6 gates. It is surrounded by a moat of stone. After the last battle of the Russo–Turkish War, in 1806 the city was acquired by the imperial Russian military authorities, becoming "legitimate" master here in 1812, after the occupation of Bessarabia.

Location:  60 km distance to Chisinau