Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Ungheni

Architect Al. Bernardazzi designed this church. He donated the project to the municipality and the church later became a true work of culture and architecture. From 1959 the church was closed under the pretext of the disintegration of the parish community and the existence of another church nearby. The authorities planned to demolish the building, but in 1960 a group of intellectuals secured the premises for use as the Museum of History and Ethnography of Ungheni.
In May 1989, the building reverted back to its original purpose as a holy shrine. Today, the church is a spiritual center of the city and also a symbol of it.

Location

1 Alexandru cel Bun str. Ungheni, 110 km distance from Chisinau

Accessibility

Daily, 8:00 - 16:00

Contact

Tel : +373 236 23 379

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Different types of masses on different occasions  as well as special masses on religious holidays

Festivals or Events

Special masses on Saturday and Sunday

Assumption of the Virgin (Adormirea Maicii Domnului) Wooden Church, Chisinau
Biserica Adormirii Maicii Domnului is the oldest wooden church in the country, built from Calarasi Moldovan woodland oak trees. The church was founded by the freeholders of Hiriseni in 1642 in the courtyard of another monastery, Harjauca.
In 1821, when the monastery moved, the church was transferred on the territory of Hiriseni village, Telenesti, where it served the inhabitants until 1928 when a stone church was built. Afterwards the church was forgotten and abandoned, transformed into a cemetery chapel. But the wooden church managed to survive, except for the roof and the steeple which succumbed to their age. Finally, in 2010, the church was dismantled and reassembled in Chisinau. It is the only wooden church in Moldova that keeps its classical medieval Moldovan architecture. It is the tallest wooden church in the country and contains about 85% of the original church beams. The iconostasis was also largely preserved, with stately icons dating back to the XVIII century.
Chisinau bd. Dacia, immediate outside city limits, on the territory of Village Museum
GSM: (+373) (0)60 069 707
Email: bisericamedievala@yahoo.com

Balti Jewish Cemetery
25,000 gravestones, some dating to the 19th century
Contact person: Bondari L. (+373) (0)69 103 292
Briceni Jewish cemetery
5,000 gravestones, some dating to the 19th century
Contact person: Boltuh I. (+373 247)22 157
Capriana Monastery
Capriana Monastery is one of the oldest in Moldova, located 35 km northwest of Chisinau, in the Isnovat locality, on a bank of the river Isnavat. The first official document to contain information about Capriana Monastery is Alexandru cel Bun's royal charter dated April 25, 1420. A royal legacy charter dated February 10, 1429 is the second document to mention the monastery.
Initially, the monastery was named after Vasnavet, which is a river flowing near the monastery. Later it was renamed Capriana, in honor of Chiprian, who was the first Superior of the monastery. The Grigore Ureche (the chronicler) papers say that Petru Rares, the ruler of Moldova (1527–1538, 1541-1546) built Capriana’s first stone church, the Church of the Virgin's Assumption.
Because of economic decline and cultural stagnation, Capriana Monastery experienced a difficult period during the 17th century. Only after 1813, thanks to Metropolitan Bishop Gavriil Banulescu-Bodoni, was there a reinvigoration of monastic life at Capriana. Then, in 1837, Capriana Monastery was given to Zograful Monastery, which controlled it until March 9, 1873. After Russian-Turkish wars Bessarabia was annexed to Russian Empire and in 1813 the monastery was subordinated to  Bessarabia Archiepiscopacy.
On June 29, 1940, a day after the conquest of Bessarabia by Soviet troops, the whole estate of the monastery was confiscated. The last abbot of the monastery was the Superior Eugeniu (1952—1962). The last church service was held on October 25, 1962. The monks took refuge in other parishes. The monastery was desecrated and pillaged. In 1962, it was transformed into a sanatorium for sick children. The monastery refectory (dining room) was transformed into a club where dancing and drinking parties and weddings were organized.
In 1989, at the decision of the Republic of Moldova Council of Ministers, Capriana Monastery once again became a place for religious services. The first abbot of the monastery was Archimandrite Iosif Gargalac, who was the former abbot of the Soruceni Monastery. After the departure of the Abbot Iosif, the monastery was lead by the monk Serafim, who continued the reconstruction of the monastery. From 1994–1997 the refectory of the monastery was restored and transformed into a church for winter services. Reconstruction of the monastery continued until 2007.
Today, the monastery complex consists out of three churches: Assumption of the Virgin Mary (1545, medieval Moldovan style), St. Nicholas (1840), St. George (1907, late baroque style). The complex also includes the abbot's house, refectory, and monk's cells. The summer church, Assumption of the Virgin Mary, is the oldest one preserved on the territory of Moldova. Metropolitan G. Banulescu-Bodoni is buried here. The monastery also holds the biggest religious library in Moldova, preserved in the monastery along with gifts from different kings.
Not far from the monastery in the forest there is an oak tree name the Oak of Stephen cel Mare, where he is said to have taken a rest after one of his battles.


Location

Capriana village, Straseni

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is partially provided.

Contact

Tel: (+373 237) 22 365 / (+373 237) 68 321    
Fax: (+373 237) 26 043
GSM: (+373) 69292054     

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on August 28

Chisinau Central Cemetery
Central Cemetery in Chisinau, often called the Armenian Cemetery, occupies a triangular area formed by three streets: Alexei Mateevici Str., Vasile Alexandri Str., and Panteleimon Halippa Str. The entrance is on Armenian and Mateevici streets. It is the most honored cemetery in Chisinau, where prominent figures of art, politics, and science are buried, including boyars Mavrokordat and Krupenskii, Serbian Prince Alexei Karageorgevich, Princess Dadiani, and the great athlete Ivan Zaikin.
Also buried there are many Bessarabian nobles, merchants, important army officers. It was founded in 1811. Seven years later, the Vsesvyatitelskaya church was built on the cemetery grounds.


Location

Mateevici str. 11, Chisinau, Moldova

Accessibility

Daily: 8:00 – 17:00

Contact: (Tel/fax/email/web)

Tel: +373 22 46 08 88

Entry Fee

No

Activities

 

Festivals or Events

Memorial Easter (first Sunday and Monday after Easter)

Chisinau Jewish Cemetery
23,400 gravestones, some dating to the 19th century
Contact person: Tuev P. (+373) (0)79 415 654
Cuhurestii de Jos abandoned church
Cuhurestii de Sus
Holy Trinity Church (Cuhurestii de Sus)
Construction of the Holy Trinity Church and its bell town in Cuhurestii de Sus village started in 1913. It structure was completed in 1930.
The church was built with financial support from the landowners, Eugenia Apostolopolo and Alexandra Pommer, whose surname at birth was Bogdan. (Their bodies are buried in vaults in the church basement.) The church remains in service to this day.
The architect of the church was the famous Alexei Sciusev. He designed the church by combining two architectural styles: Byzantine and Moldovan. The exterior is designed in byzantine style using white stone and red brick, which give the church a particular color that contrasts with its surroundings. This architectural monument has become a pearl of the local culture and an important touristic attraction.


Location

Cuhurestii de Sus village, Floresti, 130 km distance from Chisinau

Accessibility

Daily, 8:00 - 16:00

Contact

GSM: (+373) (0) 79 11 78 22, Email: parohia@orthodox.com
Web: www.ortodoxcuhuresti.blogspot.com

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Different types of masses on different occasions  as well as special masses on religious holidays

Festivals or Events

Special masses on Sundays and religious holidays

Curchi Monastery
Curchi Monastery is one of the most important architectural monuments of Bessarabia, and it is also considered to be one of the most beautiful and famous monasteries of the region.
It is located in Orhei forest near Curchi village, approximately 14 km southwest of the town of Orhei. The monastery is situated in the Vatici valley on a bank of the Vatic River between rich hills covered with forests, gardens and orchards. The monastery is a real gem, offering silence and peace. 
The monastery has a rich religious and cultural past spanning more than two centuries. It was founded in 1773-1775 and became one of the richest, most beautiful, and largest monasteries in Moldova. 
Several churches were build on the monastery’s premises: St. Demetrius, a wooden church built in 1775 by Ioan Curchi; Naşterea Domnului, a stone church built in 1810; the winter church of St. Demetrius built in 1844; the summer church Naşterea Domnului built in 1872; and the winter church of St. Nicholas (unfinished), built in 1936-1939. 
Monastery's main church, the cathedral Naşterea Domnului (1872), was built in baroque style, inspired by the church of St. Andrew in Kiev, which was designed by Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. The cathedral has the highest dome in Moldova, rising to a height of 57 meters
 During the World War II, a fire at the monastery destroyed the icons and gilded iconostasis inside the church. In addition, two of the four original belfries were destroyed. In 1943, the cathedral was repainted. Unfortunately, from 1959-1995 the monastery was used as a psychiatric hospital. During this time, some repairs were made in 1993, but it was largely neglected until 1999. 
The monetary was reopened in 2005, but still badly in need of repair. Then in 2006, under the patronage of the former President of Moldova, a large fund-raising campaign, "Curchi Monastery: From Ruins to Elevation”, was organized to support the restoration of the monastery. Today the monastery is undergoing a complete renovation. 


Location

Curchi village, Orhei

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact: (Tel/fax/email/web)

Tel: (+373 235) 33-333
Fax: (+373 235) 54-642
Web: http://www.manastire.md/

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on September 21

Frumoasa Monastery
Frumoasa Monastery is a friary, located on a bank of the Ikel River. Surrounded by vineyards, gardens and hills, it is situated at a distance of 14 km from the town of Calarasi.
The monastery complex has two churches, the summer and winter churches. The architecture of both churches is a common Moldavian feature, with a mix of classical and baroque style.
The history of the monastery began in 1804. Efrem Iurcoa, a widower who wanted to become a monk, came from Oliscani village to Frumoasa Monastery. Three other monks, Serafim, Ionachie, Macarie, and the friar Anatasie, followed him. They spent their days in prayer at this monastery. In 1806, the monks along with local citizens founded the first wooden hermitage, which contained four cells and a refectory. In 1851, the church was rebuilt from stone. The St. Nicholas Wonderworker icon, blessed in 1810, was enshrined in the wooden iconostasis.
The monastery name comes from the beautiful places surrounding it. At that time the monastery's name was Frumusica (a diminutive of Frumoasa that means Beautiful). In 1937, Frumoasa was transformed into a convent for nuns. In 1946, the nuns left for the convent of Hirova, because Frumoasa was closed. The monastery has another church, dedicated to the Holy Virgin Dormition.
In 1947, the monastery was confiscated by the government. The monks were forced to leave the monastic complex. In 1948, the monastery was transformed into an orphanage for children. In 1965, it served as a school for death-mute children. From 1973 until 1985 the monastery functioned as a colony for girls. From 1986 until 1994, it was used as a school for mentally handicapped children.
The Holy Virgin Dormition church caught fire twice: in the post-war period and in December 1985. After the first disaster, the church was rebuilt and transformed into a sport hall. The church remained unrestored after the second fire. The Saint Trinity church served as a dancing club for school children. In 1995, the church was partially demolished.
In 1994, Frumoasa Monastery was restored and reopened. Today, one of the restored buildings hosts a museum, which keeps old church books and invaluable icons that were scrupulously kept by the inhabitants between the wars and then returned to the monastery. The other hall of the museum is dedicated to folk creation.
Frumoasa Monastery is one of four “Calarasi Cross” monasteries, along with, Hirjeuca, and Raciula. The monasteries are situated so that the shape of a cross is formed.


Location

Frumoasa village, Calarasi

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact

Tel: (+373 244) 38-029
GSM: (+373) 68670171
E-mail: benedictamf@yahoo.com
Web: www.frumoasa.md

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service.
Museum and handicrafts shop

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on 50th day after the Easter

Hancu Monastery
Hancu Monastery was built in 1678 by the Great High Steward Mihail Hancu after one of his daughters expressed a desire for the religious life. She became a nun and took the name of Parascheva. The convent was known by the name of Viadica until the 17th century.
In the middle of the 18th century, when the Tatars invaded, the nuns left the convent. After the Russian army arrived in Bessarabia under the command of Field Marshall Rumeantev in 1770-1772, the Hancu family successors asked the monk Varlaam from the Varzaresti Monastery to take care of the abandoned convent. Varlaam, together with a group of monks who came with him, took care of the household and repaired the cells, and in time the monastery became a living place for the monks.
In 1817, a wooden church was built at the monastery. It had a wooden iconostasis decorated with flowers gilded with gold. The walls inside of the church were fashioned with many beautiful icons, eight of which were painted on planks of wood and gilded with gold. Hancu was the first monastic settlement of Bessarabia, where community life was introduced in approximately 1820-1822.
Both the inner life of the convent and its community household developed significantly during the supervision of the Bulgarian Abbot Dosoftei. Where the old wooden church stood, he built a new stone church honoring Saint Pious Parascheva. In 1841, he built another church dedicated to the Holy Virgin Dormition. Cells for the monks were also constructed. Water was brought into the monastery, and the administration of the monastery was improved. At the end of the 19th century, the monastery was known under the name of Hancul-Parascheva.
In 1944, the monastery and all its holdings were nationalized. In 1965, the monastery was closed. The monks were forced to leave. In 1978, the monastery was transferred to the Institute of Medicine and it became a sanatorium for people suffering from tuberculosis and a spa for students and employees. Saint Pious Parascheva summer church was later turned into a club.
In 1990, Hancu Monastery was re-established as a place for monks, but in 1992 the community was abolished. However, in the spring of 1992, Hancu became a convent for nuns. Later that year, in September 1992, reconstruction of the monastery began. In 1993, the repairs to the Holy Virgin Dormition winter church, built in 1841, were finished. In 1998 the interior of the church was repainted. Saint Pious Parascheva summer church, built in 1835, was repaired in 1996. Three old buildings constructed in 1841 remain untouched on the monastery’s territory.
Today the monastery is home to a vibrant community of nuns.


Location

Bursuc village, Nisporeni

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact

Tel: (+373 264) 93-008 / (+373 264) 92-849
GSM: +373 (0) 691-40-149

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on October 28

Harjauca Monastery
Harjauca Monastery is located on the bank of a small river of the same name. The architecture of the monastery is very interesting and original. A lane lined by poplars leads to the gate. The monastery itself is arranged in the form of horseshoe.
According to researcher P. Crusevan, the monastery was founded in 1740. The forest around the monastery served as hiding place from the Tartars. An old man, whose name was Teodosie built a house in the forest, which became a place for prayer. After the conflict was resolved, the monk Varsonufie came to this place. With the support of a noble man, Miculita, he built some cells and replaced the house of prayer with a wooden church. According to another source the Harjauca Monastery was founded in 1750 by a monk, Inochentie Sava, from Calarasi town.
In 1846, the monastery became a bishopric. In 1917, Russian soldiers nearly demolished the monastic complex. But in 1918 when the Bessarabia territory joined with Romania, monastic life improved significantly. Archbishop Nicodin of Husi ably developed the monastery. The monastic library was extended with his help; books were brought from Iasi.
However, in 1962, at the urging of a group of atheists, the monastery was closed. The monastic complex began functioning as a sanatorium. In 1981, restoration of the monastery restarted. An old fresco was found under a layer of paint in the monastery’s interior. It was drawn in a classic style by the famous painters Blinov, Stoianov and Lemaic during the period of 1901–1906. The painters Vasile Negruti, Serafim Prodan, Alexandru Ivanov and Elena Grigorasenco restored the old fresco over the course of eight years.
In 1993, the monastery was given 2 hectares of arable land. By 1994, there were ten people living on the monastery grounds. In autumn 1994, the God Ascension church was consecrated. Architecturally the church resembles the Metropolitan Chair in Chisinau, which was built in the same period. In 1998, the priory, refectory and one other building were also restored.
Hirjauca Monastery is one of four “Calarasi Cross” monasteries, along with Frumoasa, Hirbovets, and Raciula. The monasteries are situated so that the shape of a cross is formed


Location

Harjauca village, Calarasi

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact: (Tel/fax/email/web)

Tel: (+373 244) 72-291, (+373 244) 72-302
GSM: (+373) 0 790-64215
Web: www.hirjauca.md
E-mail: hirjauca.md@gmail.com

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on May 24

Hirbovets Monastery
Hirbovat Monastery is located in the Ikel River valley. The monastery is bounded to the north by the village of Hirbovat, to the west by beautiful gardens and vineyards, and to the south by a picturesque valley, which protects the monastery.
Accounts differ regarding the monastery’s founding. Some evidence suggests that it was founded in 1730 by the noble man Constantin Carpuz. Others say it was founded in the 17th century by monks that came from Bersan Monastery (Podolia).
As with its founding, there are several accounts about how the monastery got its name. One account says that it originates from the Moldovan word “hirbi” (hill), because the monastery stands on a hill. Other version explains that it is because the first Father Superior of the monastery was a hunchback. Yet another version says that the name comes from the Latin word “herba” (grass).
Prior to 1812, the monastery complex was set on fire and ruined three times by Ottomans and Tatars. Consequently, the entire monastic registry was destroyed. This explains the absence of information and documents regarding the monastery’s history.
The monastery complex contains two churches: the Assumption Holy Mother of God stone church which was built in 1812 by the layman Stefan Lupu (who later became the monk Serapion), and the Descent of Holy Spirit church, built in 1870 while Ierohim and Natanail were Priors. The monastery is also known for being home to a miracle-working icon of the Virgin Mary. It was given as a gift to the monastery in 1790 by the wife of Russian Colonel Nicolai Albaduev, who was killed by a house at the gate of the monastery.
In 1962, the monastery keys were confiscated by the KGB. The next day police arrived with tanks from the army to prevent a possible uprising like the one that occurred at Raciula Monastery. The soldiers destroyed the basement of the Descent of Holy Spirit church where clergymen were buried. The church altar and iconostasis were also destroyed, and six bells from the monastery’s belfry were removed. Icons, books, and monastery archive were burned.
After its destruction, the monastery was transformed into a school for children with disabilities until 1992. The church was turned into the school’s club and its basement into a storage depot. Later the church was used as a stable for animals.
In 1988, the school administration began to restore the monastery including the Assumption Holy Mother of God church, which was partially refurbished in 1990-1991. Then in spring 1992, at the request of local and neighboring citizens the monastery was returned for monastic use.
However, the complex was in bad condition, despite the efforts to improve it. After further repairs to the Assumption Holy Mother of God church, the winter church was re-consecrated in 1992. The summer church was re-consecrated in 1993 following additional restoration work.
Hirbovets Monastery is one of four “Calarasi Cross” monasteries, along with Frumoasa, Hirjeuc,and Raciula. The monasteries are situated so that the shape of a cross is formed.


Location

MD-4422, s. Hîrbovăţ, r. Călăraşi

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact: (Tel/fax/email/web)

Tel: (+373 244) 37-310, (+373 244) 37-260
GSM:  +373 (0) 671-10-001
E-mail: arhim.ioan@gmail.com

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on August 28

Holy Virgin Protection (Aperamintul Maicii Domnului) Wooden Church, Palanca
Holy Virgin Protection (Aperamintul Maicii Domnului), Palanca
The Acoperamintul Maicii Domnului church was built of larch wood from Ukraine at the end of the eighteenth century. In 1825, it was relocated to the cemetery of Palanca village on a foundation of stone.
Here it functioned until 1944, when it was closed. Not being in use, the church fell into disrepair, until 2007 when the church was once again restored and relocated to just outside the cemetery and next to the rural pension and handicrafts museum “Casa parinteasca” (Parental house).
Palanca village, Calarasi district
GSM: (+373) (0)68 910 755
Japca Monastery
The Japca Monastery is located on one bank of the Nistru River, 10 km from Camenca. It is the only monastery from Bessarabia which was never closed by the Soviet authorities. The monastery has an exceptionally beautiful location. The rocks above the monastery, the meandering Nistru River, which can be seen in the distance, and the gardens that surround it, create a special beauty.
The Japca locality dates back to the 17th century. According to most records, the estate and the hermitage are named Japca, but sometimes Jabca or even Sabca. The first mention of the
hermitage dates to May 1693; but not being registered in other historical records, this date remains a disputable one. Most historians accept 1770 as the foundation year of the church. At that time the monks left their cells, which were built in stone above the church, and settled where the monastery now stands.
During World War I many nuns from Russia and Poland took refuge in Japca Monestary after being told in April 1916 by Archbishop Atanasie of Bessarabia to move from the Lesna Monastery, where they had been sent by Saint Sinod from St. Petersburg, to Japca Monestary. The monks living there were transferred to the Harjauca Monastery.
In 1940, the nuns were forced to leave the monastery. The authorities from the Japca locality, with the Soviets' permission, confiscated all the property of the sacred place. In 1941, after the arrival of the Romanian army, the nuns returned to the monastery and had their property returned to them.
Japca Monastery follows Russian rules and traditions. No one eats meat. The Psalm book is read. They live a very minimalist life with no electricity. The most important church of the convent was frequently rebuilt, so now it has three altars: Resurrection, Transfiguration, and Crucifixion.


Location

Japca, Floresti

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact

Tel. (+373 250) 66-259

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on 40th day after the Easter

Mazarachi Church, Chisinau
Mazarachi Church is one of the oldest in Chisinau. It is an architectural masterpiece in stone whose construction dates back to 1752, the most productive period for Moldovan architecture. The church represents an old-style Moldovan temple believed to be unique to this region.
At the foot of the hill on which the church stands is a stone block marking the location of a spring that gave Chisinau its name. The name of the spring, "chisla noua", is believed to be ancient Romanian for "new spring".


Location

3/5 Mazarachi str., Chişinău, Moldova

Accessibility

Daily, 8:00 - 16:00

Contact

Tel: +373 22 544 839

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Different types of masses on different occasions  as well as special masses on religious holidays

Festivals or Events

Special masses on Saturday and Sunday

Military Glory Memorial “Eternitate” (Eternity)
Military Glory Memorial “Eternitate” (Eternity)
This is a memorial dedicated to Soviet Army soldiers who died during World War II. The central element of the memorial is monument of five 25-meter tall stone rifles arranged in the shape of a pyramid. At the center-base of the pyramid is a large five-point star with an eternal flame in the center.
In northwest part of the memorial complex are six engravings with composition sculptures and 155 marble plates with the names of the fallen soldiers. Memorial territory is paved with white stone. On special occasions it is guarded by an honor guard from the Moldovan Army.


Location

Pantelemon Halippa str.5, Chisinau

Accessibility

Free

Entry Fee

No

Noul Neamt Monastery
The Noul-Neamts Monastery (which means “New Neamţ”) is situated in Bessarabia, in Chiţcani village, on the right shore of Nistru River, 14 km from the town of Tighina (Bender) and 6 km from the town of Tiraspol.
There are four churches on the territory of the monastery. The Ascension Cathedral is situated in the center. On its left there is the old church built in honor of Saint Hierarch Nicholas the Wonder-Worker. Opposite there is a refectory church of the Ascension of the Holy Cross. The Dormition church is a congruous part with its five chapels completing the general view of the monastery. The center piece of the monastery is the bell tower. Consisting of 5 levels, it is seventy meters tall and is the highest and the most splendid bell tower in Moldova. From the upper level of the bell tower you can see the wonderful picturesque views of the surroundings.
The name signifies that the monastery is a successor of the Neamţ Monastery in Romania (medieval Moldavia). The monastery was founded in 1861, when several monks from the Neamţ monastery in Romania left and founded Noul-Neamţ in Chiţcani. The founding of the new monastery was a protest against the measures taken in Romania to confiscate monastery estates and forbid the usage of Slavonic language in worship.
On 16 May 1962 Soviet authorities closed the monastery; the buildings became a hospital.
In 1990 the Monastery recommenced its usual activity. Care for the reconstruction was taken by archbishop of Bender Vichentie and by archimandrite Dorimedont, bishop of Edinet and Briceni. Due to efforts made between 1999-2000, church life was reconstituted and the churches, bell tower, cells were repaired. From 1990-2001 the monastery also hosted the Theological Seminary of Chisinau, where many priests from Moldova, the Ukraine and Romania studied.
In 1995, in the place of the former vestiary and the old library, a museum with two halls was opened. One of them is meant for keeping icons of the 18th - 20th century crosses, jubilee church medals, coins etc, and the second for keeping photographs from the foundation of the monastery up to the present, old books, robes etc. The monastery is also home to many holy relics.


Location

2, Lenin str., Chiţcani village, Slobozia

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact

Tel: (+373 557) 41-585
GSM: (+373 ) 691-55-271
E-mail: info@noul-neamt.ru
Web : www.noul-neamt.ru

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service
Handicrafts workshop

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on August 28

Orhei Jewish Cemetery
15,000 gravestones, some dating to the 18th century
Contact person: Mundrian Y. (+373 235) 21 112
Other Wooden Churches
The Church “Sfantul Nicolae” (St. Nicholas Church), Horodiste
The wooden church "Sfantul Nicolae" was built in 1797 in the village of Horodiste, Calarasi district. The interior is illuminated by six small windows. The roof is dominated by the octagonal drum of the steeple.
Raciula Monastery
Răciula Monastery is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. It is located in the village of Răciula in the region of Călăraşi, not far from the monasteries of Hîrjauca and Hîrbovăţ. It was founded in the 18th century by brothers Andrei and Ioan Roşca, on the estate of Lupu Stratan.
The larger church, built around 1800, is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. It was rebuilt with stone in 1845, and again in 1907-1910. The smaller winter church was built in 1822, and reconstructed in 1855-1860. It is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
In 1811, the monks left the monastery. It was transformed into a convent for nuns. In 1938, the monastery was named "Holy Monastery Oltea Doamna” named for the mother of Stefan cel Mare.
In July 1959, the monastery was closed by communists. The nuns attempted to oppose the closing. The church bells rang continuously for ten days. All the villagers gathered to defend the monastery. Ultimately, Soviet policemen intervened with firearms and the monastery was closed. During the confrontation with militia forces, one believer was killed and several others wounded. Eight people were sent to jail. The belfry was destroyed, and the church's nave made into a wedding hall.
After the monastery was closed, most of the nuns stayed in Răciula living in houses nearby. They were forced to work at the local collective farm (kolkhoz). Most of the monastery’s assets were transferred to the kolkhoz, and the church was used for a time as a storehouse.
In 1989-1990, the monastery was reestablished. The churches were repaired and the original look was restored. In 2010, approximately 100 nuns were living in Răciula Monastery.
Raciula Monastery is one of four “Calarasi Cross” monasteries, along with Frumoasa, Hirbovets, and Hirjeuca. The monasteries are situated so that the shape of a cross is formed.


Location

Raciula, Calarasi

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact

Tel: (+373 244) 64-256
GSM: (+373) 792-94-266

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on September 21

Rudi Monastery
Rudi Monastery, also known as Rughi Monastery, is located on the bank of the Nistru River, 15 km from the town of Otaci. In 1777, with the blessing of Bishop Inochentie from Husi (1752 – 17820), a Moldovan style stone church celebrating the feast of the Holy Trinity was founded.
After buying the Rudi family estate, the new owner Mihai Bogus destroyed the monastery. In 1845 his daughter, Anastasia, died tragically. A year after her death, Bogus' second daughter died as well. This was seen as a kind of punishment for Bogus. At the age of 62 he passed away. The Bogus family was buried on the territory of the monastic complex. There is a stone with the inscription “Mihai Bogus, died in 1846”. Near his grave are the graves of his daughters. On the left wall of the hermitage is another inscription: “Here were buried the monastery founders, Teodor and Andronachi Rudi”.
In 1846, local authorities made the decision to close Rudi Monastery church. It was brought under the care of the Rudi village parish. Mihai Rosea, a close relative of Bogus, became the owner of the monastery. He transformed the holy place into a residence for servants. The monastic complex was abandoned and partially demolished.
In October 1921, with the support of Archbishop Visarion Puiu, Rudi Monastery was reopened. Its restoration was approved by local authorities.
During World War II the monastery was under the guidance of the Abbot Ioachim Barbus. At that time 30 monks inhabited the monastic territory. After the war, the monastic complex was converted into an orphanage. It became a hospital for children. The Holy Trinity church became a depot. In 1990 the hospital was evacuated. Two years later it was abandoned.
In 1992, Rudi Monastery was settled by three monks: the priest Malchisedec and two monks from Romania. In 1993, renovation work began at the monastery. A year later, the restoration of the Holy Trinity church also commenced.


Location

Rudi village, Soroca

Accessibility

The monastery is open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for disables is not provided.

Contact

Tel: (+373 251) 93-777
GSM: (+373) 671-93-555

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Religious service

Festivals or Events

Monastery’s hram is on 50th day after the Easter

Saint Lazarus Cemetery
Saint Lazarus Cemetery, in Chisinau, founded in 1966, occupies 110 hectares. It is considered the largest cemetery in Southeastern Europe and has more than 250,000 gravesites, including about 600 family vaults. Some of the gravesites are of deceased persons whose bodies have been moved to the cemetery from other locations.
A point of interest is that a large part of the cemetery belongs to the German Government, where the remains of German soldiers found on the territory of Moldova are buried. A memorial to these soldiers is visible from the road leading to Gratiesti village.

Location

Doina str. 189, Chisinau, Moldova

Accessibility

Daily: 8:00 – 17:00

Contact

Tel: +373 22 46 08 80

Entry Fee

No fee for people
5 MDL for cars

Activities

 

Festivals or Events

Memorial Easter (first Sunday and Monday after Easter)

St. Nicolae Cathedral, Balti
This church was built in 1790-1795 and now it is the oldest building in Balti. A local painter, Evstaviem, created its interior frescos and icons. In the XIX century the church burned down; but it was restored to the initially state. The cathedral is built in Byzantine style, which is unusual for Moldova. The interior decorations contain Baroque elements. Its walls are 1.4 meters thick. It contains to side balconies separated from the central balcony by thick pillars which augment the acoustics of cathedral.


Location

30A, Stefan cel Mare  str., Bălţi, 135 km from Chisinau

Accessibility

Daily

Contact

Tel: +373 231 21 094

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Different types of masses on different occasions  as well as special masses on religious holidays

Festivals or Events

Special masses on Saturday and Sunday

Sts. Emperors Constantine and Elena Cathedral, Balti
The Sts Emperors Constantine and Elena Cathedral was built in 1923-1933 by architects Gabrilescu and Ivanova. It is one of the most representative buildings in Moldova of the national romantic style. It is a large, impressive building, dominating the city with a height of 46 meters and being able to hold more than 1,000 people at once. The interior of the Cathedral form the shape of a traditional cross. The Cathedral has two altars: Sts Constantine and Elena in the center and canonized Petru Movila on the right side.


Location

55,  Independentei str., Balti, 135 km distance from Chisinau

Accessibility

Daily, 8:00 - 16:00

Contact

Tel: +373 231 23 041

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Different types of masses on different occasions  as well as special masses on religious holidays

Festivals or Events

Special masses on Saturday and Sunday

The Assumption of Our Lady Church, Causeni
The 17th century Assumption of Our Lady Church is the oldest surviving building in Causeni town. The founders Grigore Callimachi and Bishop of Proilavia built the church in the XVII-XVIII centuries. Radu and Voicul Stanciul were the painters of the church. Its paintings date to 1763. The church is set into the ground – it is more than 3 feet (0.91 m) below ground level.
This was unique for its time. It’s possible that this might have been dictated by the interdictions of Tartars settled in Causeni in the XVIII century. The church preserves the only medieval fresco in Moldova. Executed by Walachian painters in a late Byzantine-Romanian style, the interiors feature religious scenes and iconography in vibrant reds, gold, and blues.
Location: Causeni town, 70 km Distance to Chisinau
The Metropolitan Cathedral “Nativity of the Lord”, Chisinau
The architectural centerpiece of Chisinau, the Metropolitan Cathedral, was built in 1836 at the initiative of Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, the governor of New Russia and Metropolitan of Bessarabia Gabriel Banulescu-Bodoni. The Cathedral was designed by Avraam Melnikov. It is one of the best examples of Russian architecture in Chisinau. The city’s urban plan that was laid in 1817 was the first to display the Cathedral’s location and its basic architecture in the cruciform plan.
Considering the importance of the structure, great care was taken for building to appear elegant, regal, and timeless. Known for his many designs across the Russian Empire, Avraam Milnikov was hired to do the job. A master of the neoclassic style of architecture, the Cathedral that stands today boasts an eclectic style, with a combination of Byzantine touched with a hint of Renaissance on a Greek cross, a perfect neoclassic structure. Inside, the cathedral has three altars dedicated to three saints. The cathedral suffered serious damage during World War II and has since undergone several reconstructions.
Directly in front of the cathedral stands a beautiful belfry built in 1998. It is an exact replica of the original belfry built in 1830 when the Metropolitan Cathedral was built. The original belfry was demolished in the 1960's. It represents an important religious and historic sight. The belfry comprises four levels with a small chapel on the ground level and several bells at the top.
The Cathedral complex, including the bell tower, and is situated just in the heart of Chisinau – the capital – in front of the main Government building, near Piata Marii Adunari Nationale.


Location

Piaţa Marii Adunări Naţionale, Chişinău, Moldova

Accessibility

Daily, 8:00 - 16:00

Contact

Tel: +373 22 226 194
Web: http://www.mitropolia.md

Entry Fee

No

Activities

Different types of masses on different occasions  as well as special masses on religious holidays

Festivals or  Events

Special masses on Saturday and Sunday

Tiganca Romanian Honorary Military Cemetery
Tiganca Romanian Honorary Military Cemetery
More than 1,000 Romanian Army soldiers are buried here. They died during military operations in the summer of 1941. The cemetery is situated 3 km from the Tiganca bridgehead over Prut River in the Cantemir district. The cemetery was restored during 2005-2006 with support from the Romanian Government. The Romanian King Mihai I attended the official opening.


Location

Tiganca village, Cantemir, 125 km from Chisinau

Accessibility

free

Entry Fee

n/a

Tighina (Bender) Military Cemetery
Tighina (Bender) Military Cemetery
The cemetery describes the history of the region and is connected to the history of Tighina (Bender) fortress. Today the military cemetery is divided into several zones where visitors can find the graves of soldiers from different origins and from different times:

  • Russian army soldiers from 18th century
  • Swedish army soldiers from 18th century
  • Romanian army soldiers from 20th century
  • French army soldiers from 20th century
  • Soviet army soldiers from 20th century

Location

Tighina (Bender) town, 60 km from Chisinau

Accessibility

free

Entry Fee

n/a

Vadul Rascov Jewish Cemetery
2,000 gravestones un supervised cemetery